modesetting feature status

Joshua C. joshuacov at googlemail.com
Sat Sep 20 04:18:37 UTC 2008

2008/9/19 Josh Boyer <jwboyer at gmail.com>:
> On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 07:57:34PM +0200, Joshua C. wrote:
>>I tried `strace -o /drm.strace modprobe drm debug=1` and got the
>>output in the attached file. I tried the same with `strace -o
>>/radeon.trace modprobe radeon modeset=1` but this time there's nothing
>>in the file. How can I hook strace to the radeon driver?
>
> You can't.  All you're stracing is the modprobe command, not the driver
> operation.
>
> Drivers don't operate in userspace, and don't make system calls.  So strace
> just plain doesn't work.
>
> josh

Ok, I cannot use ssh (just one mashine). What other options do I have
to debug this thing? There should be a way to do this with just one
computer.
I read somewhere that the 2.6.26 kernel have some "new debugger" or
so. I just need to make it write down the process to a file. After
restart I can send you the log.
After the drive loads I can only hard reset the computer. And if
everything is in the ram, then I have to dump it to a file. Any other
ideas?