How important is comps.xml to us these days? Which packages should be in comps.xml and which not?

Tim Lauridsen tim.lauridsen at googlemail.com
Sun Sep 21 17:05:26 UTC 2008

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> On 21.09.2008 14:25, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>> One more reason for us then to make sure everything a user might want
>> to select is in comps.xml, isn't it?

>>> Note that this is only from 0.3.3 on.
>>
>> /me looks at rawhide and finds 0.3.2
>>
>> /me grabs 0.3.3 straight from koji
>>
>> /me fails to get it to work on F9 (likely my fault) :-/
>
> Updating yum as well did the trick.
>
>> Hmm. From the screenshot it's hard to see if gpk-application exports
>> the package groups from comps.xml similar to how pirut/anaconda do.
>> But seems to be different, which would be a important detail for the
>> decision how to maintain the comps.xml in Fedora...
>
> Seems to be way different. In pirut/anaconda you in F9 for example can
> select the group "GNOME Desktop Environment"; then you can hit the
> "details" button and select some more packages from the gnome group or
> deselect some other you don't want. Seems that's not possible in
> gpk-application right now. Not sure if it should, but that's quite and
> important detail when if comes to the "how to maintain comps.xml
> properly" question.
>
> CU
> knurd

The groups in comps.xml is used as meta-packages, there can be installed
and removed. just like yum groupinstall/groupremove.
Ex. you can install KDE by installing the kde-desktop meta-package.
All the meta-packages (comps groups) are located under collections.
The categories is not used in pk-application.

Tim