How important is comps.xml to us these days? Which packages should be in comps.xml and which not?

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sun Sep 21 18:31:30 UTC 2008

On 21.09.2008 19:05, Tim Lauridsen wrote:
> Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>>> One more reason for us then to make sure everything a user might want
>>> to select is in comps.xml, isn't it?
>>> /me looks at rawhide and finds 0.3.2
>>> /me grabs 0.3.3 straight from koji
>>> /me fails to get it to work on F9 (likely my fault) :-/
>> Updating yum as well did the trick.
>>
>>> Hmm. From the screenshot it's hard to see if gpk-application exports
>>> the package groups from comps.xml similar to how pirut/anaconda do.
>>> But seems to be different, which would be a important detail for the
>>> decision how to maintain the comps.xml in Fedora...
>> Seems to be way different. In pirut/anaconda you in F9 for example can
>> select the group "GNOME Desktop Environment"; then you can hit the
>> "details" button and select some more packages from the gnome group or
>> deselect some other you don't want. Seems that's not possible in
>> gpk-application right now. Not sure if it should, but that's quite and
>> important detail when if comes to the "how to maintain comps.xml
>> properly" question.
> The groups in comps.xml is used as meta-packages, there can be installed
> and removed. just like yum groupinstall/groupremove.

Yeah, but that will only install (or remove?) packages that are
'<packagereq type="default">' in the comps file, correct?

> Ex. you can install KDE by installing the kde-desktop meta-package.
> All the meta-packages (comps groups) are located under collections.
> The categories is not used in pk-application.

IOW: adding packages to a group in comps.xml as '<packagereq
type="optional">' is only worth the trouble if you want to make the
package selectable in anaconda, as that information is not used by
pk-application. Correct?

CU
knurd