recover from broken yum transaction

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 10:47:27 UTC 2008

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 9:46 PM, Conrad Meyer <konrad at tylerc.org> wrote:
> Any reason for not having swap? Or if you don't want to use the disk all the
> time, perhaps create a swap file before doing updates with yum?

Lots. We are running jffs2 on bare NAND. A NAND partition dedicated to
a conventional swap would wear out badly. And jffs2 is a compressed fs
(no per-file flag to disable compression) with very strange
performance patterns -- a swapfile in there is bad news.

> But as you've
> said before, most users won't be using yum anyways (and even fewer users will
> actually be getting updates at all). Power users can easily add swap.

Well, we are using a homegrown update mechanism. It has some
advantages over yum -- for starters, it works on our hw :-) . Let's
say that the fact that yum+rpm do _not_ work on our hardware for large
upgrades - due to memory issues - closes many avenues.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions