Pulseaudio : lots of issues, how can I help?

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Tue Sep 23 15:02:34 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 04:42:21PM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > Not vastly, its a DMA pipe with a DAC on the end
>
> There's not necessarily a DAC at "the end" anymore. Could be SPDIF
> too.

SPDIF is over 20 years old too. There is a DAC somewhere and will be until
you get a copy protection jack and license slot embedded in your skull...

> the timing. And that's where hardware changed. And software too. And
> OSS is broken and legacy.

Not a lot - it started much like todays stuff, got all fancy and complicated
and is now back on the dumb end of the cycle with hardware raytraced sound
presumably going to be the next 'do it in hardware' cycle.

Alan