No dynamic groups in PackageKit

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Tue Sep 23 17:52:38 UTC 2008

On 23.09.2008 19:22, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-09-23 at 19:13 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>> Livna/RPM Fusion in the past tried to put its packages into the same
>> groups as Fedora did. That somehow broke or confused groupinstall in yum
>> iirc (never looked into the details; just heard it from skvidal and
>> others)
> I do believe the problem was that you used the same group names, but
> different descriptions.

I'm quite sure I started with the same group names. But:

- maybe the Fedora names changed over time (I suppose the comps.xml I
used as a start for livna might have been for FC6 or something like
that) and we forgot to adjust our
- we iirc hadn't imported all the translation files (are they under a
free license?), which I suppose might be the root case for the problem

Well, doesn't matter much now. I'm more interested in the way forward.
So what would you suggest that RPM Fusion does in the future? Import the
.po files from fedora to our cvs, adjust the group description and
grouid in our comps files to match the ones from Fedora and make sure
they stay in sync(¹)?

(¹) the latter shouldn't be to hard to do, but nevertheless is a bit
error prone over time...

>  If you had used the exact same
> name/description/translation/etc... and /only/ changed the package
> contents it would have been just fine.

Just wondering and making sure I get this right: What exactly do you
mean by "changed" in the latter sentence?

(1) just use the same ids and description and list only the packages
from RPM Fusion in the rpmfusion comps.xml files

(2) import the whole comps.xml stuff from Fedora, keep it in sync and
add the RPM Fusion packages

I suppose you meant (1)?

 > [...]

CU
knurd

P.S.: Why the heck hasn't anybody told me the above when I asked for a
better way to fix the mess livna created a few months ago?