Instant Mirror Status...?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 18:33:52 UTC 2008

James Antill wrote:

>  So what you are saying essentially is: "Why can't MirrorManager decide
> what the best URL is for a netblock/geoip and always list it first, just
> to make the proxy problem zero-conf"
>  And I can guess that the answer to that is basically "Because it
> doesn't work", feel free to send Matt patches though if you think
> otherwise.

How can it be worse than whatever you are doing now which essentially
defeats any caching infrastructure that anyone has in place?  That is, I
don't see how any attempt at ordering the list repeatably can 'not work'
or be worse than no attempt at all.  What can break if you do something
simple like take the list you'd return after geoip calculations (if
any), divide the ip space up by the number of mirrors and rotate the
list to the corresponding starting point for the source IP?  You'd still
be giving the same set of choices to the same recipients, but in a way
that will work if they have caching in place.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com