specspo and PackageKit

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Wed Sep 24 16:30:15 UTC 2008

Le mercredi 24 septembre 2008 à 10:34 -0400, Bill Nottingham a écrit :

> > In my ideal world things would work like this:
> >
> > 1. translations live in the repodata in separate files per language
> > 2. yum downloads the translations for the lang you're running in
> > 3. when you install a package it takes the translations from the
> > repodata translation and stuffs them in the rpmdb alongside the stock
> > info for the pkg.
>
> This is still a tremendous burden at repodata time, which requires
> tying a large cpu-intensive process (that has to pull from source control)
> into every tool that we have (mash, bodhi, etc.)

Unless I'm mistaken, 1. 2. 3. makes no assumption on where the
translations are sourced from before they end up in repodata. And
sourcing them from source control would not work for third-party
repositories. (to work with them you need to either bundle translations
in the packages themselves, or define a detached translation file format
that can be associated to a package)

--
Nicolas Mailhot