Tried Pulse Audio Again--No Good For A11y

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 17:11:28 UTC 2008

Matthew Woehlke wrote:

>> Thinking of your computer as a single piece might make sense for
>> someone who only has one, but does anyone really run fedora as their
>> one and only computer?
>
> That's like saying Fedora should only be targeted at highly tech-savvy
> users, which I have to take issue at. Do we really want to limit
> ourselves to that audience?

If you don't serve that audience or offer a forward path beyond entry
level, who do you serve and who is going to promote it?

> (To those that stated "I only use Fedora on <list of computers>, I think
> you all missed the point of the question, which was, 'do any Fedora
> users have /only one computer/', not 'does anyone use only Fedora'.)

Yes, it was at least a two-part question.  One is whether you have more
than one box - with the implication that in the likely scenario that you
do, you'll want to split services among them in various ways and access
each from the others.   The other is whether Fedora is the best, or even
a possible choice for every function.  My impression is that even though
individual computers are becoming more powerful, in practice things are
becoming more distributed and parts are more mobile.  While there is a
trend toward hiding all of the networking under browser based
applications, it is still a mistake to throw away the native ability of
X to run about anything anywhere and handle multiple instances on the
same box.  If you aren't using Fedora for every function, it should
still be a good choice for that - and with freenx/NX it is accessible
from other platforms as well.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com