please deactivate services by default!

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Sep 25 11:23:07 UTC 2008

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 10:13:17PM +0200, Christoph H?ger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have some services found being activated by default that should be
> removed for the following reasons:
>
> 1. sendmail: starts way too slow, is not usefull for any normal desktop
> user I know. Making it usefull requires configuration so I assume
> wohever uses that service _can_ activate it.
>
> 2. ip6tables: I do not know of any provider actually working with ipv6.
> So I assume the mass of all users do not need it.

There are plenty of ways to get IPv6 from 3rd parties and tunnel it
over IPv4 - you don't need to get it from your main ISP.

As such I can plug into any network and setup an IPv6-over-IPv4
tunnel, run an radvd daemon on my machine, and more or less every
other machine will automatically configure itself with a global
IPv6  address with no admin work required. As such you really do
want to have IPv6 firewall enabled all the time even if you don't
think you're using IPv6.

Daniel