please deactivate services by default!

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Sep 25 16:31:02 UTC 2008

Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Rahul Sundaram said:
>> No. sshd has always been disabled on the live cd since it doesn't have a
>> root password.
>
> Wouldn't it be better to have sshd configured to either:
>
> - block root logins

This seems to be the default on some UNIX's (or, at least, it's true for
some of the machines I work with, though it's possible that IT set it
up). I'm indifferent; I might re-enable it (though, since I can su also,
I might not), but I don't mind making this default.

> - block logins to accounts with no password

This is different from passphrase-less keys, right? If so I'd definitely
vote for this. It doesn't need to be exclusive with disabling root
login, though.

--
Matthew
"You know what Microsoft's problem really is? They've lost the ability