please deactivate services by default!

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Thu Sep 25 20:21:57 UTC 2008

Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> Chris Adams wrote:
>> Once upon a time, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> said:
>>> This has *nothing* to do with upgrades. This is all about the desktop
>>> livecd only.
>>
>> But the livecd "copy to hard drive" option is a quick-and-easy way to
>> install a system from a single CD, at which point this is NOT just about
>> the CD version.
>
> Is sendmail so huge it doesn't fit on the livecd? I suspect not, this
> conversation started about boot time after all. So... don't start it for
> the livecd, *do* start it when the livecd is installed to disk.

Live CD is always cramped for space. So everything that doesn't really
fit the regular single user desktop use cases (and sometimes even that)
would probably be removed from the live cd unless there are package
dependencies. Even earlier today, release engineering was fighting to
get it down to CD size.

Rahul