please deactivate services by default!

Stewart Adam maillist at diffingo.com
Thu Sep 25 20:53:30 UTC 2008

Christoph Höger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have some services found being activated by default that should be
> removed for the following reasons:
>
> 1. sendmail: starts way too slow, is not usefull for any normal desktop
> user I know. Making it usefull requires configuration so I assume
> wohever uses that service _can_ activate it.
>
> 2. ip6tables: I do not know of any provider actually working with ipv6.
> So I assume the mass of all users do not need it.
>
> 3. isdn: isdn requires configuration and thus should be set to start
> when that config is actually done.
>
> 4. setroubleshootd: That service also takes long to boot, but its quite
> usefull. I wonder if one could make auditd start setroubleshootd when
> required - having two daemons working on base of the same informations
> seems not very clever.
>
> So, now go on and punsh me ;)

I made a Feature page [1] for this a while back, but I didn't include
ip6tables or setroubleshootd... Some of the services I listed may be needed
(please let me know if that's the case, I didn't do much research before
writing it) but otherwise I think it would be great if we could cut down
on the number of services and start certain ones (ie bluetooth) only
when bluetooth hardware is present. I'm not sure if that's plausible
though, it would make for one long list of PCI IDs.

Stewart

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/MinimalServices