please deactivate services by default!

Horst H. von Brand vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl
Thu Sep 25 21:48:12 UTC 2008

Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net> wrote:

[...]

> I always thought it was odd that some things (e.g. telnet) block root
> logins but others (e.g. ssh) don't.  I can telnet in and then su and the
> password is just as much in the clear as it would have been with
> straight root-login-telnet.

telnet needs to go. I haven't installed the daemon for ages, and for some
time before had it disabled. The client comes handy to check out text-based
protocols, though. But perhaps netcat is a replacement here...

ssh is a different beast, the connection is encrypted.

>                              Either all should allow or all should block
> (I personally block), except for directly attached consoles (so root can
> get in when all else is broken).

> Maybe sshd could be configured as "PermitRootLogin without-password",
> which would require someone to configure keys (but not reconfigure sshd)
> before root ssh could be used.

Not for me, please.
Casilla 110-V, Valparaiso, Chile 2340000       Fax:  +56 32 2797513