please deactivate services by default!

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Thu Sep 25 23:09:39 UTC 2008

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 03:06:23PM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Is is strictly necessary for sendmail to start in its ordered position?

No.

>  Why not peel out the daemons that don't have particular dependencies
> and  background their startup so they continue to happen as you log in?
>   There's not really a good way to intervene if there are problems
> anyway, so why wait?

You can start sendmail late and asynchronously. I've done that for years
on Fedora boxes and its a standard mod I make every time to sendmail or
exim scripts.

Tools that use /usr/bin/sendmail will work fine as they don't need the daemon
running yet. Tools that use port 25 SMTP already have to handle failed
connections and work just fine too.

Simply stuffing an "&" on the end of the sendmail stuff in the boot scripts
is sufficient to solve all the sendmail delay problems