please deactivate services by default!

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Sep 26 19:21:07 UTC 2008

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> Ok. Eh, so I'm confused, an account with "no" password just cannot be
>> logged into at all, I thought? (Except via methods that wouldn't use
>> password authentication, e.g. key-based authentication as mentioned
>> above, 'su' as root...) I wouldn't expect an ssh setting for that, I'd
>> expect it to simply be denied :-).
>
> It is not just root. The default user has no password in the live cd
> either.

I guess I am confused. Ubuntu disables root, I thought by giving no
password to root. The livecd obviously should have "no password", but
does that mean unset, or empty? (If unset, does unset have a different
effect on root than normal accounts?)

--
Matthew
"Who wants to sing?" -- Orcs (Warcraft II)