please deactivate services by default!

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Sep 28 21:09:36 UTC 2008

Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 16:17:50 -0400
> "Horst H. von Brand" <vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl> wrote:
>
>>> Seems like doing an IO heavy task like this will no longer be much
>>> of an issue with a parallel init type startup.
>> Parallel init is still limited by IO-heavy tasks. All I've seen about
>> "parallel service startup" is that is makes almost no difference.
>

> "parallel init" is surprisingly not the answer to booting fast.
>
> (unlike parallel, asynchronous components do help)

But there's no reason to delay logins until cron or the sendmail daemon
have started.  And the sendmail daemon doesn't really ever have to run
unless there are undelivered messages in the queue.  I'd guess the only
reason it was ever done that way was the convention of giving X it's own
runlevel which doesn't make all that much sense anyway.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com