unfrozen repo somewhere?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 22:20:07 UTC 2008

Chris Adams wrote:

>> So far I haven't seen anything in release notes that looks anywhere near
>> as convenient as downloading a ready to run vmware image.  The process
>> to create a bootable USB looks like it requires a already-installed
>> system, and I don't see any estimate of the disk space and time it will
>> waste to do the 'install to hard drive' in a VM to get a writable
>> system.   I've also always had to track down hacks to make vmware tools
>> work when I wanted to run fedora under vmware - is that still a problem?
>
> With qemu/qemu-kvm, you can download and run the LiveCD ISO image with
> "-cdrom /path/to/image.iso -boot d".  If vmware makes it harder than
> that, then I'd say you should give an Open Source virtualization tool a
> try.

It's easy enough to boot an iso or iso image file.  But that won't be
writable.

> If you really want to make a disk image to run from, you can set up an
> empty disk image file (allow several gig, but the qemu qcow2 image type
> only uses more-or-less what you use under the virtual image, so you can
> allow 10G or more and let it grow on demand), boot the ISO image, and
> transfer to the disk image.  That isn't but a couple of extra steps and
> a few minutes of work (since you don't have to wait for CD/DVD seeks).

Doing a couple of extra steps and wasting disk space is one thing for
something I expect to be able to use.  Doing it frequently to test
something that probably isn't ready for prime time is something else. My
point was, and is, that if you'd like more testers it would probably
help to eliminate those extra steps that each would have to repeat.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com