unfrozen repo somewhere?

Horst H. von Brand vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl
Mon Sep 29 22:57:59 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> Horst H. von Brand wrote:
> >>                              bugs not getting fixed, ...

> > Developer's fault.

> It's not the developer's fault that you _ship_ new bugs.

OK, packager's fault in that case then.

> > How do you want to fix this? Training camp for newbie
> > developers? Make bug fixing more attractive (i.e., page of "Helped fix bugs
> > in Fedora 10" listing patch contributors, bug triagers, ...)?

> Just don't ship them.

If you have some sort of bug-detector that I can wave over packages before
letting them loose...

>                       If someone has to fix bugs in a released Fedora
> as opposed to rawhide or upstream before the version is packaged,
> you've already lost.

As things stand, I'd bet the very wast majority of people don't get
"upstream" but something packaged by some distribution. If I'm right, the
/only/ place where you can catch bugs is through the distribution...

> > Please, /show/ how to make it better. /Tell/ where or how the workflow
> > could be streamlined. "More branches" just makes for a swampy river delta,
> > not smoother flow AFAIKS.

> You probably can't match RHEL's QA for free, but testing - and not
> shipping things that don't pass - is the only way things can get
> better.

Pray tell us, exactly how do we /do/ that? I think we all agree that that
is the ideal, but I strongly believe it is unatainable in pratice.

> >> Certainly - Otherwise, I wasn't be using Fedora.
> > It's certainly not perfect, but good enough for me (and fun to
> > booth!).

> I've heard the term used as in "an instrument's tuning is 'good
> enough' for folk music" or "an approximation is 'good enough' for
> government work".  What's 'good enough' for an operating system?

Works mostly. Doesn't crash too often. Doesn't destroy valuable data except
under extremely unlikely circumstances.

What "mostly", "too often", "extremely unlikely" mean in the above is up to
the beholder. Yes, and ideal system won't ever do any of the above, but
then the machine could get hit by a meteorite.

Yes, there are systems that provably approach the above ideal, but they are
extremely limited (so much that you'd yearn for the lush MS-DOS environment).

This is engineering, not mathematics. And even in mathematics there have
been mistakes...
Casilla 110-V, Valparaiso, Chile 2340000       Fax:  +56 32 2797513