[Fedora-xen] xen kernel with dom0 in Fedora 10?

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Sep 30 19:54:23 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 09:25:45PM +0200, David Hl??ik wrote:
> Hi , guys, I have found in Fedora 10 Features , that there is still a
> lot of work to provide xen kernel with dom0 support to Fedora 10 GA.
> For my future project, which at 90 percent depends on virtualization
> technology I am deciding between XEN or KVM virtualization. I am
> experienced XEN user, KVM is new for me. But as I am aware of,
> Qumranet was bought by RedHat which predicts something ...

There is pretty much zero chance that Fedora 10 will include a Xen
Dom0 host. While upstream Xen developers are making good progress
on porting Dom0 to paravirt_ops, there is simply too little time
for this to be ready for Fedora 10. So if you need to use Fedora 10
as a host, then KVM is your only viable option at this time. If
you can wait for Fedora 11 (or use RHEL-5 / CentOS-5) then Xen may
be an option for you. I'll let other people comment on the pros/cons
of Xen vs KVM outside the kernel availability issue.

Daniel