future f12 test days

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 15:29:42 UTC 2009

On Thu, Apr 02, 2009 at 05:00:51PM +0200, Christoph Höger wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> so testdays are a really cool way of testing feature progress during an
> alpha/beta cycle. I guess upstream projects really love all those corner
> cases being tested.
>
> So as Paul stated
> (http://marilyn.frields.org:8080/~paul/wordpress/?p=1577)
>
> The wiki is public now, which makes it possible to test features (and
> post the results) for everybody not only FAS members. This is definitely
> a good thing, but I guess there are a few more points to make that work:
>
> a) we should _always_ have USB images ready. That should lower the
> testing costs to zero.
>
> b) we need public attention (aka PR), I already tried to get that into
> some german online media and phoronix for nouveau test day, but with
> little success (only prolinux.de reacted). I guess no one will make a
> headline for every testday, so it would be a good idea to bring
> attention to the test days (and the schedule) in the alpha release notes
> (and pounce the media on those). Some ambassadors having PR experience
> here?

Cc'ing the fedora-docs-list to reference above.

I added a placeholder note for that future page:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_12_Alpha_release_notes

> c) make the test cases as automated as possible. Offer sending smolt
> profile (smoltGUI) and run test cases directly from the desktop. Also We
> should add a link (or the document itself) about how to test what and
> why to the desktop. If it's possible for the test generated results
> should also be posted automagically to the results page, or, if tests
> fail, bug reports could be created by bugbuddy.

Not sure if bugbuddy adds any heft to the Live images.  Regardless
though, I actually was talking to James Laska about this just the
other day.  The easier the community uptake, the more people can dive
in and get involved.

I've found the Live images really helped me.  I don't tend to have a
lot of time to devote to testing, yet I was able to successfully
run some tests and generate a few bug reports for the Nouveau test
day.  It was a great experience and I'd like as many other people to
enjoy it as possible.

I'd suggest that followups on this go to fedora-test-list, since
that's typically where the QA folks do the bulk of their planning and
execution.