python-2.6 and python-3.x

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Thu Apr 2 19:34:12 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-04-02 at 13:55 -0400, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> On 04/02/2009 01:46 PM, Jochen Schmitt wrote:
>
> > I think porting this kind of application may nned a lot of work to
> > porting to
> > Python 3000. So I thin wee need a python-2.6 compat package for a while
> > until
> > all applications will been ported.
>
> The problem with this approach is that it does not motivate upstreams to
> move to Python 3, they will just depend on the compat package, and we'll
> have a lot of trouble convincing anyone to move.
>
> I think part of the solution will be for Fedora developers to help port
> such applications to Python 3

 Personally I'm in 100% agreement with the first part of this. We
(Fedora) shouldn't be forcing this move. Upstreams will be motivated or
not and that will give a timeline for the move. Obviously people doing
upstream work and Fedora work can motivate their upstream (or not) as
they wish.

 If we get to the point where say > 75% of upstreams have moved
(presumably in a way that their code will also work with 2.6, at least
in the short term) then at that point I think we as a distro. should
look at what to do with the other 25% ... either spending most of a
release helping them, or just dropping them. Whatever.

 Another, maybe less significant to Fedora point, is that until about
~F13 a non-trivial number of python developers will need to have code
working in 2.6 _and_ 2.4. So any forced migration so that they have to
be compatible with 2.4, 2.6 and 3.x would be a major PITA for them.

--
James Antill <james at fedoraproject.org>
Fedora