future f12 test days

psmith johnsmithdoe14 at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 2 22:02:12 UTC 2009

Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Thursday, April 02 2009, Christoph H?ger said:

>>> Well, we don't provide USB images for releases on the basis it's a waste
>>> of space and bandwidth since you can simply convert them with the
>>> script. I don't see why that reasoning doesn't hold for test days.
>>>
>> I disagree on that: Using an USB image is the most non-invasive and
>> cheapest way, to run those tests. They allow modifying something and
>> rebooting, which is a real advantage in test cases IMO.
>> Also USB devices are common nowadays - tools to convert cd images to usb
>> media are not (not every possible tester runs fedora yet).
>> If we really care about that little extra space we should provide USB
>> images and show how to convert them to cd/dvd images.
>>

> An image for a USB device, though, has problems with a) multiple sizes
> of USB devices b) deleting data off of the USB devices c) a couple other
> things that I'm flaking on at the moment.
>
> livecd-iso-to-disk is a shell script that should run on basically any
> Linux distro with syslinux installed (and people have sent patches to
> fix up things, eg, for Ubuntu) and liveusb-creator works on Linux
> platforms and Windows.
>
> Jeremy

but sometimes both of those don't work, as i've recently found out with
both the i686 gnome and xfce live f11 beta iso's, livecd-iso-to-disk nor
liveusb-creator create working usb images, though this may be the iso's
themselves that are the problem as previous versions worked with f9 and
f10 iso's :-/