future f12 test days

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Fri Apr 3 02:39:18 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-04-02 at 22:47 +0200, Christoph Höger wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 02.04.2009, 11:11 -0700 schrieb Adam Williamson:
> > On Thu, 2009-04-02 at 17:00 +0200, Christoph Höger wrote:
> >
> > > a) we should _always_ have USB images ready. That should lower the
> > > testing costs to zero.
> >
> > Well, we don't provide USB images for releases on the basis it's a waste
> > of space and bandwidth since you can simply convert them with the
> > script. I don't see why that reasoning doesn't hold for test days.
>
> I disagree on that: Using an USB image is the most non-invasive and
> cheapest way, to run those tests. They allow modifying something and
> rebooting, which is a real advantage in test cases IMO.
> Also USB devices are common nowadays - tools to convert cd images to usb
> media are not (not every possible tester runs fedora yet).
> If we really care about that little extra space we should provide USB
> images and show how to convert them to cd/dvd images.

A couple of observations:

It seems to me it would be much more sensible to spend time making the
tools to convert CD/DVD's to LiveUSBs than to respin existing media in a
new (and apparently more complicated) way.

It would be great is fedora went so far as to provide builds for the
various common Linux platforms, along with Windows, MacOSX, BSD and
whatever else.

Also,

Is it possible to supply LiveCD's that are smaller in size?  If I'm
testing the graphics card for example, I don't really need an email
client (and probably masses of other software on the disk).  How hard is
it to just provide the necessities (another discussion I'm sure).

R.

 It's much better on my side"