future f12 test days

psmith johnsmithdoe14 at googlemail.com
Sun Apr 5 20:39:38 UTC 2009

Rodd Clarkson wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-04-03 at 17:48 +0100, psmith wrote:
>
>> Rodd Clarkson wrote:

>>> psmith
>>>
>>> does the usb stick(s) have spaces in the volume name?
>>>
>>> By this I mean, when you look at the mount name in computer, are there
>>> spaces in the name for the device that appears?
>>>
>>> If so, try this:
>>>
>>> 1. edit /etc/mtools.conf to create a drive for the device.  For example,
>>> when I plug a USB key into my laptop it appears as /dev/sdb1, so in
>>> mtools.conf I have a line:
>>>
>>> drive f: file="/dev/sdb1"
>>>
>>> 2. at a terminal prompt run:
>>>
>>> $ mlabel <drive letter>:<new_label>
>>>
>>> eg. I ran: mlabel f:4GB_USB
>>>
>>> Make sure there are no spaces in the 'new_label' name.
>>>
>>> Then try again.
>>>

>>> R.
>>>

>> thanks for the info rodd but still no luck :/ the usb volume was already
>> named F11beta and changing the mtools.conf and re-making the live usb
>> resulted in the same problems, i think there may be problems with the
>> actual iso's as i'm starting to see a few bugs pop up with similar
>> problems to mine, as well as the already worked out grey screen selinux
>> bug. looks like i'll have to pass on testing the beta and just wait for
>> preview or final :(
>>
>> phil
>>

> You can check the iso file using some command that I forget and
> comparing it with a value somewhere.  Argh, that's too vague.
>
> Let's see.  If you run:
>
> sha1sum <file.iso>
>
> and then compare it with this CHECKSUM file:
> http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/fedora/linux/releases/test/11-Beta/Fedora/i386/iso/Fedora-11-Beta-i386-CHECKSUM
>
> Then you can see if the iso is corrupt or not.
>
> The stuff above regarding the volume name is only an issue (or I'm
> pretty sure it is) if you've got a space in the volume name (for example
> "my volume".)
>

> R.

yeah i checked the iso for validity though it's now sha256sum as that's
what they use now and the iso is fine, i have confirmed with kevin fenzi
that the beta i686 xfce spin is actually bust and he's made another spin
available for me to try, which i am away to do in about 20 mins, wish me
luck :)

and thanks for the help offered, it's much appreciated :)

phil