Heads up: new Voikko spell checking packages in Rawhide soon

Ville-Pekka Vainio vpivaini at cs.helsinki.fi
Sun Apr 5 22:46:47 UTC 2009

This is especially important for people interested in Finnish language
support on Fedora 11. The Voikko project[1] released the first release
candidates of libvoikko 2.1 and openoffice.org-voikko 3.1. I wanted to
send a notice about them before building them for Rawhide.

- The soname of libvoikko is not bumped, no packages depending on it
  should need to be rebuilt.

- Libvoikko is now looking for the dictionary files from
  %{_libdir}/voikko/1/mor-standard by default, previously it was just
  %{_libdir}/voikko.

- The malaga-suomi-voikko package with the dictionary files will thus
  need to be rebuilt and the new libvoikko package will require this
  new Release of malaga-suomi-voikko.

- The new openoffice.org-voikko package will of course be built against
  the new libvoikko package.

What will Fedora users benefit from these changes:

 - The new libvoikko version has support for using different dictionary
   variants, thus the new location for the default dictionary files. I
   will only package the default variant for now, but users should be
   able to install and use other variants from their home directories.

- The new openoffice.org-voikko version now has grammar checking for
  the Finnish language enabled by default, which is - to my knowledge -
  something that has previously been offered only by proprietary
  products on non-Linux platforms.

- The new openoffice.org-voikko version also has support for switching
  the dictionary variant from OpenOffice.org settings.

The new spec files and SRPMs are available at[2]. I know we're past Beta
already, but I'd still like to get these new packages into F11 so that
we wouldn't have to wait for another six months for the new features.
I've tested the new packages with OpenOffice.org, Firefox (with the
mozvoikko extension) and with evolution and gedit (with the Enchant
provider). So far I have not seen any regressions. In general there have
been very little problems with the Voikko packages during the time I've
had them in Fedora (since F-8).

If you have a good reason for these packages not to go to F11, please
yell loudly during the next couple of days.

[1] http://voikko.sourceforge.net/
[2] http://vpv.fedorapeople.org/voikko-f11/

--
Ville-Pekka Vainio