rawhide report: 20090404 changes

Jon Ciesla limb at jcomserv.net
Mon Apr 6 12:50:31 UTC 2009

Adam Tkac wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 06, 2009 at 10:06:45AM +0100, Tim Waugh wrote:

>>> [snip]

>>> Shouldn't this be added to the system libjpeg instead, so all programs
>>> benefit?
>>>
>> Not only that but security updates for JPEG implementation flaws will
>> require vnc updates as well.
>>

> Right you are, get that improvements to upstream will be the best
> solution. Unfortunately no upstream for libjpeg is active so we can't
> share TigerVNC code easily.
>
> There were no security issue in libjpeg for ten years (please fix me
> if I'm incorrect) so I don't think that vnc will suffer due builtin
> jpeg. As written on
> http://www.mail-archive.com/tigervnc-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg00225.html
> TigerVNC consumes approximately 40% less CPU when it uses builtin jpeg
> so it is a valid reason, I think.
>
> Adam

Actually, upstream of libjpeg *is* active, he's just not communicating
that fact.  I made an attempt to re-ignite activity there and get
several common patches applied, and had buy-in from Tom Lane, the RH
libjpeg maintainer, and the majority of the SF.net libjpeg project
team.  Guido Vollbeding is apparently working on a new release, but
isn't being particularly communicative or transparent about it.  If you
want to review or join the discussion, see the SF.net libjpeg list.

--
in your fear, speak only peace
in your fear, seek only love

-d. bowie