preupgrade complaining of dependency issues

Will Woods wwoods at redhat.com
Mon Apr 6 20:31:40 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-04-06 at 09:42 -0600, Stephen Warren wrote:
> I currently have Fedora 9 installed, and I'm trying to preupgrade to
> Fedora 10 using preupgrade. However, preupgrade is complaining of a large
> number of dependency issues (see complete log below).
>
> The only 3rd-part yum source or RPMs I have come from adobe and skype. The
> dependency messages don't reference any of these RPMs. I have just "yum
> update"d, and still see the issue (I saw the same general problem both
> before and after).
>
> Questions:
>
> 1) If I go ahead and upgrade anyway, will my system be left in a
> consistent (or even working) state?

It should be fine. If preupgrade didn't pop up an error dialog about
these problems, then they're non-fatal, and can be ignored.

anaconda deliberately ignores dependency problems of this type, so
preupgrade tries to do the same - which is why it ignored them instead
of stopping the upgrade process or displaying an error message.

> 2) If I upgrade using the CD/DVD instead, will I just hit the same issues?

These same dependency issues will still be there, but no, they shouldn't
prevent you from upgrading. They might not even be logged.

> 3) ob-relevance-to--devel: I though there were automated regular scripts
> running now to detect this kind of dependency issue? I guess I'm
> mistaken...

No, we check for some dependency problems with (e.g.) F10 updates and
F10 updates-testing, but we don't yet compare F9 and F10.

-w