dontzap - a application to revert dontzap setting

Anders Rayner-Karlsson anders at trudheim.co.uk
Wed Apr 8 09:28:37 UTC 2009

* Michal Hlavinka <mhlavink at redhat.com> [20090408 10:51]:
> On Wednesday 08 April 2009 07:29:59 Callum Lerwick wrote:
> > Hey I have a genius idea. ENABLE ctl-alt-bs by default, and DISABLE it
> > as part of the user login process. Are we expecting people to be using
> > Emacs at the GDM login screen?

The emacs conspiracy is getting seriously tired now...

> <JOKE>And what about setting Conflicts: emacs in dontzap package ? :) </JOKE>

*grin* Not a bad suggestion.

> Anyway, I think this discussion is useless. Because there are not millions of
> grumbling users, there will be no will to change it...

There are some very vocal users that don't like the change. I had a
look at the man page for xorg.conf and one argument that's been
floated here is that applications grab focus and then misbehave.

Has anyone looked at and tested the AllowDeactivateGrabs and
AllowClosedownGrabs options in their xorg.conf instead of blindly
relying on C-A-Bs to shoot the server in the head? If they still have
keyboard interrupt, these options may actually be a better solution
than killing the entire X server.

Just a thought.

--
/Anders