My first DontZap use case while testing F11 beta

David dgboles at comcast.net
Wed Apr 8 16:50:16 UTC 2009

On 4/8/2009 12:29 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> David wrote:

>>> Not quite: Setting up a distro and preparing packages to include them
>>> into a distro is a bit more than blindly following "upstreams".

>>> It also means package maintainers to be "listening" to their
>>> "user-base", to communicate their user-base's concerns upstream and to
>>> deviate from upstream when necessary.

>> This discussion has me thinking about the last time I used C-A-B. And
>> quite
>> honestly I can't recall the last time. Certainly not recently.
> As far as I am concerned:
> - Ca. 4 weeks ago, when trying to get my netbook working with an
> external monitor
> - Today, when something, I don't know, crashed X and left me with an
> entirely black screen.

>> I do understand that some users have problems and that some users need
>> this.
>> However the way I see it is that the change has been made and will not be
>> reverting.

>> Which means one of two things.

>> Learn to live with the change. Or you change it back yourself.
> Or ...
> - exchange upstream
> - exchange the fedora packager
> - switch the distro.
> - fork the distro (This change alone is easy to patch).

> I think it would be appropriate to have FESCo interfere and let them
> vote on this matter.

>> Seems simple
>> enough. One little change. I change many things from the defaults.
> With each fedora release, I increasing change more. I am seriously
> asking myself why I am using a distro which is increasingly divering
> from my needs, and which I experience to be increasingly less usable
> wrt. certain aspects.

"switch the distro" won't work. All are going this way.

So your, and the others, options, are the same as when this started. Change
it back yourself or live with it the way that it is now. A sub-option, if
you want to call it an option, is to keep complaining. But you will still
have to deal with one of the others.

I am sorry that you are unhappy but I am finished with this thread.

Bye

--

  David