Fedora, Portable Edition?

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Thu Apr 9 07:59:40 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-04-09 at 02:52 -0400, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:

> > > yum is, but rpm (which includes rpm-python) is not; that will take
> > > significantly more effort to put in (e.g., Add/Remove integration).
> >
> > I don't think Window's Add/Remove is equipped to handle a bazillion
> > RPMS. Though putting a single "Add/Remove RPMs" entry that starts up
> > gpk-application or something isn't a bad idea. All of which is moot
> > until RPM actually works on Win32...
>
> I don't think there would be a bazillion RPMs; most of the
> infrastructure is already provided, so it would be things like widget
> toolkits, specialized libs (e.g. liboil), and of course apps.

Have you looked at the toolchain? GTK requires atk, cairo, glib, pango,
gettext, libpng, jasper. Jasper requires libjpeg. pango requires
freetype and fontconfig. Fontconfig requires expat and iconv. Freetype
libpng and cairo require zlib.

I don't think windows users want to see a crapton of meaningless
libraries in their add/remove dialog. I sure don't. I don't even want to
see them in Fedora...

Though once again, none of this means much until I and/or someone else
gets over the hump of getting rpm running in Win32... :)