My first DontZap use case while testing F11 beta

Christopher Stone chris.stone at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 04:58:50 UTC 2009

On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 8:18 PM, Tom "spot" Callaway
<tcallawa at redhat.com> wrote:
> http://who-t.blogspot.com/2009/04/zapping-server.html

Excuse me Tom, this article is so bad I have to rip it apart.

> Assume that the server never supported zapping in the past. Now we add a feature that immediately and without asking terminates your session, shuts down all applications, logs you out, brings down your wireless network in the process, shuts down your VPN and generally makes the computer giggle at you.

That is one way to look at it. You could also see it as adding a cool
innovative new feature which allows inexperienced users to easily
recover from a bad X state.

> Experienced users will benefit from zapping. So make it accessible to them.

No. Inexperienced users will benefit from zapping.  So it should be
enabled by default.

Could you imagine if this was actually put up for a vote?

"Stay with default" option would be hands-down winner.

Good thing we will never see a vote on this, because we have to keep
the x.org egos inflated.  They could never possibly make a brain dead
lemming like decision.