My first DontZap use case while testing F11 beta

Dariusz J. Garbowski thuforuk at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Apr 14 03:05:17 UTC 2009

On 04/13/2009 06:50 PM, Peter Hutterer wrote:
> A vote of a non-representative group is still non-representative even if you
> increase the sample size. so I'm not sure how a vote on fedora-devel should be
> worth more or less than a vote on xorg-devel, or gnome-devel, or...
> There are also a number of users that don't know what a mailing list is and
> could not partake in such a vote. (I have evidence of at least one, presumably
> there are others). if you have _actual_ representative data, I'll happily
> listen. seriously.

Interesting logic -- first establish that it's not possible to get
representative data, then offer to listen to "_actual_ representative"
data... Catch 22?

> I've spent
> some time last week to actually make you (well, not particularly you, but..)
> happy because:
> - fedora-setup-keyboard merges this key automatically now.
> - the C-A-B shortcut is enabled during gdm, which is usually when you notice
>   that something output-related is broken.
> - c-a-b works if you start your custom X session, it gets disabled (or not)
>   when gnome-keyboard-properties applies the user-configured settings.
> - gnome-keyboard-properties provides a simple checkbox to enable it if needed.
> - the xkeyboard-config rules allow for different combinations for
>   Terminate_Server, which is an improvement to the hardcoded value before.
> - the keyboard driver now uses XKB instead of its own hardcoded zapping.
>
> With the exception that the default is still disabled, everything around is
> now working properly and pretty much like layouts generally do.
> I'm sorry that you don't like the new default, but at least I've tried hard to
> make it as easy for you to enable it again should you need it.

This sounds sane. Is it also the case with other desktops (e.g. KDE),
window managers (should I choose to run, eh, AfterStep, instead of full
blown desktop environment)?

Thanks for your work, Peter.

--
thufor