PulseAudio and sound apps (was: Re: Orphaning a few packages)

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Wed Apr 15 14:14:58 UTC 2009

On Wed, 15.04.09 14:01, Kevin Kofler (kevin.kofler at chello.at) wrote:

> Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > There is work happening between PulseAudio and Jack to allow automatic
> > peaceful coexistence.
> > See http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/device-reservation.html
>
> That's not coexistence, it allows only one or the other to work at a time.
> It doesn't solve the real problem at all, e.g. try recording audio output
> from a PulseAudio app in a JACK-based audio recorder with this "solution".

No. Your scenario is artificial. That's not something more than a
handful of people want to do.

I think you are misunderstanding JACK's purpose.

Let me put it differently: you *never* want you event sound blibs and
plops mixed into your JACK pro audio stream. And hence setting up
connectivity between JACK and PA by default is simply the wrong
thing to do.

Lennart