PulseAudio and sound apps (was: Re: Orphaning a few packages)

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Wed Apr 15 15:20:33 UTC 2009

Orcan Ogetbil (oget.fedora at gmail.com) said:
> I also believe that PulseAudio is a cancer, and it is growing. Even if
> we are going to lose a leg to get rid of this cancer, we should do it
> NOW. Otherwise it will spread and become irrevocable. The topic of the
> discussion should be: How can we get rid of PulseAudio? How can we ban
> this project for the good of humanity?

Ban this project for the good of humanity?

You know, one way to ensure you're not taken seriously is to elevate
a few thousand lines of C code to something that needs to be exterminated
for the future of the human race. To the best of my knowledge, PulseAudio
is not going to become Skynet.

(Besides, obviosly we'd need to remove Xaw, Tcl/Tk, Pascal, Ada, and about
a thousand other harmful things from Fedora first. And don't forget emacs,
progenitor of X-windows fascism everywhere!)

> Plain ALSA is good enough. And what do they say? "If it's not broken,
> do not fix it."

'Work' is a strong word. It's possibly the most baroque example of second
system software in all of Fedora.

Bill