PulseAudio and sound apps (was: Re: Orphaning a few packages)

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Wed Apr 15 16:44:28 UTC 2009

On Wed, 15.04.09 11:08, Orcan Ogetbil (oget.fedora at gmail.com) wrote:

> I also believe that PulseAudio is a cancer, and it is growing. Even if
> we are going to lose a leg to get rid of this cancer, we should do it
> NOW. Otherwise it will spread and become irrevocable. The topic of the
> discussion should be: How can we get rid of PulseAudio? How can we ban
> this project for the good of humanity?

If PulseAudio is a cancer than I am the evil bio weapons scientist who
engineered it. Muahahah! Muahahahahaaaa!

Now that my plan for world domination with biologic WMDs got exposed
like this, what can I do? Oh hell, let's just do what we always
do. Hijack some nuclear weapons and hold the world hostage. Yeah?
Good!

> Plain ALSA is good enough. And what do they say? "If it's not broken,
> do not fix it." I do not understand the need of adding a buggy,
> unfinished layer on top of good mother ALSA.

You are more catholic than the pope.

Maybe the fact that even the ALSA guys themselves think that having a
userspace sound daemon on top of ALSA like PA is a good idea and
necessary might give you a hint how distorted your view of the world
is.

Lennart, bio weapons scientist