PulseAudio and sound apps (was: Re: Orphaning a few packages)

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Apr 15 19:24:57 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-04-15 at 18:26 +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > JACK should not be used by anything by default, with the exception of
> > audio production software.
>
> The problem there is: where does "desktop software" stop and "audio
> production software" start? For example, Audacity (which thankfully
> supports PulseAudio these days, and BTW it also supports JACK) is used by
> many users who are not audio professionals, yet it is arguably also "audio
> production software" (though I guess real professionals will find it too
> newbieish ;-) ).

Practically speaking, you nailed it right there. There's a fairly small
and well-defined circle of professional audio production apps that
serious creators use, that use JACK by default, and that no-one would
want to be any other way. Everyone involved - the authors and
maintainers of JACK, Pulse, and the apps in question - knows what's
what, so there's not really any practical problem here.

To anyone with sufficient knowledge (and everyone involved has that),
"should this app use Pulse or JACK?" is a pretty simple question to
answer. Audacity is a no-brainer to be Pulse by default.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey