Saving space on the DVD

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Thu Apr 16 12:36:23 UTC 2009

Once upon a time, John Reiser <jreiser at BitWagon.com> said:
> Then I "yum install" and download only what I use, which often is about
> 1/4 of what I would get by installing Software Development from a recent
> Fedora DVD.  Make a separate Software Development "spin" (platter image)
> if demand warrants.

I know it might just encourage growth without limit, but would it be
possible to have multiple DVDs?  Maybe we could have something along the
lines of the original multi-CD setup, where everybody used disc1 (the
installer, @core, @base, the other common stuff).  Then there could be a
Development DVD; if you want dev tools installed, you download that disc
and feed it to the intstaller.  Maybe a KDE DVD (and before anybody
flames, I'm not picking on KDE; GNOME is the default in Fedora, so KDE
_could_ be pushed to a separate disc).

Obviously, the support for multiple discs is there for CDs, but I don't
know if it could handle arbitrary discs instead of just 1, 2, 3, ...
(and it is obviously too late for F11 anyway).

What would then also be nice would be for secondary DVDs to use a
different directory instead of Packages (kind of the way RHEL 5 does
it).  Then it would be easy for someone with dual/double-layer DVDs to
combine their favorite image with disc1 with nothing more than a basic
DVD program (no need for createrepo or the like).
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>