Saving space on the DVD

Basil Mohamed Gohar abu_hurayrah at hidayahonline.org
Thu Apr 16 15:46:32 UTC 2009

On 04/16/2009 11:38 PM, Ray Van Dolson wrote:
> Jigdo is one of the reasons I don't look forward to downloading the
> fedoraunity respins :)  I guess it's easier on the bandwidth providers,
> but ultimately much slower than downloading the normal Fedora ISO's
> from a mirror.
>
> Usually takes a couple runs to get all the files too.
>
> Granted, I may be using a lousy client...
>
> Ray

I know most people's experience with jigdo might have had some stumbling
blocks, but I think, for the purposes of the Fedora Unity Respins and
for any kind of release that is a partial update of a previous one, the
concept of a jigdo release is excellent, ideally saving a lot of time
and bandwidth.  It's worked well for me when I had a previous
installation DVD or image available, but I also sympathize with the ones
experiencing problems.  It just doesn't bother me as much, especially
because I've been on relatively limited connections for nearly a year now.

By the way, as a side note, there are torrents for most of the Fedora
Unity respins, so you can always get them through that
(bandwidth-intensive) method as well.