Saving space on the DVD

Basil Mohamed Gohar abu_hurayrah at hidayahonline.org
Thu Apr 16 15:53:50 UTC 2009

On 04/16/2009 08:36 PM, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, John Reiser<jreiser at BitWagon.com>  said:
>
>> Then I "yum install" and download only what I use, which often is about
>> 1/4 of what I would get by installing Software Development from a recent
>> Fedora DVD.  Make a separate Software Development "spin" (platter image)
>> if demand warrants.
>>

> I know it might just encourage growth without limit, but would it be
> possible to have multiple DVDs?  Maybe we could have something along the
> lines of the original multi-CD setup, where everybody used disc1 (the
> installer, @core, @base, the other common stuff).  Then there could be a
> Development DVD; if you want dev tools installed, you download that disc
> and feed it to the intstaller.  Maybe a KDE DVD (and before anybody
> flames, I'm not picking on KDE; GNOME is the default in Fedora, so KDE
> _could_ be pushed to a separate disc).
>
> Obviously, the support for multiple discs is there for CDs, but I don't
> know if it could handle arbitrary discs instead of just 1, 2, 3, ...
> (and it is obviously too late for F11 anyway).
>
> What would then also be nice would be for secondary DVDs to use a
> different directory instead of Packages (kind of the way RHEL 5 does
> it).  Then it would be easy for someone with dual/double-layer DVDs to
> combine their favorite image with disc1 with nothing more than a basic
> DVD program (no need for createrepo or the like).

I don't know how naïve this makes me for supporting, but I like the idea
of having a so-called "core" DVD followed-up by supplemental DVDs with
additional software.  The Fedora 11 Beta DVD (i586) has 2,533 packages,
while rawhide (currently) has 13,269.  While I'm not sure I want to say
we should have /every/ package on the DVDs, I wouldn't mind having, as
mentioned above, extra DVDs with groups content, especially where such
content is relatively large, as is the sum of all development-related
packages.  Installing from the Beta DVD as an additional repo has really
saved me a lot of time.  Sure, I could make a local repo of rawhide too,
but that would mean I'd need to download an enormous amount of data,
which is exactly the scenario I'm trying to avoid.