My first DontZap use case while testing F11 beta

Lars E. Pettersson lars at homer.se
Thu Apr 16 18:29:45 UTC 2009

On 04/16/2009 05:34 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-04-16 at 10:35 +0200, Lars E. Pettersson wrote:
>> On 04/15/2009 08:59 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
>>> Haha :) No, it's just that, as far as I can see, the impact on newbies
>>> is that we tell them to reboot instead of doing ctrl-alt-backspace.
>> Yes, but why?
>
> I don't *care*. Stop trying to argue with me. My only position on this
> is it really doesn't matter as much as you all seem to think it does. I
> don't care if it stays the way it is or gets patched, I just wish
> everyone would quit wasting time bikeshedding about it.

OK, so we should just sit here doing nothing when we see a change that
*we* consider bad? Nah, better to speak up, I think.

You have the notion that this does not matter, but I, and apparently
quite a few others, think it does.

Yes, they can just reboot, pressing ctrl-alt-del instead. But wait, that
is another shortcut that people accidentally can press. Should we "zap"
that one also? If not, why should we zap ctrl-alt-backspace, but not
ctrl-alt-del? And if we zap both, they have to press the reset button,
or switch the computer off and on again, a process that might cause loss
of data, and even file system problems.

So my thinking is that this really matters.

Sure, a user might press ctrl-alt-backspace accidentally, but me feeling
is that this is *not* such a recurrent event that we should remove a
very useful function/keystroke from the system.

/Lars
--
Lars E. Pettersson <lars at homer.se>
http://www.sm6rpz.se/