Getting rid of /usr for F12?

Konstantin Ryabitsev icon at fedoraproject.org
Fri Apr 17 00:11:52 UTC 2009

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 7:58 PM, Lennart Poettering
<mzerqung at 0pointer.de> wrote:
> And for the folks who think /usr is awesome because it allows mounting
> /usr ro while mounting / rw: it's not. Much more useful it would be if
> / in its entirety could be mounted ro. Debian allows that. It's not
> too hard to make that work on fedora as well.

I object on the ground that I routinely make a separate /usr partition
in order to avoid encrypting gigabytes of binaries. My partitioning
scheme usually is:

sda1 -> /boot
sda2 -> /usr
sda3 -> encrypted LVM with everything else

This scheme makes a significant difference for things like starting up
eclipse or OO.org on an underpowered laptop (or, really, any laptop
under battery power). Since portables is where FS encryption most
useful, getting rid of /usr will make it significantly more difficult
for me to conserve power and not waste it on needlessly
encrypting/decrypting binaries.

Regards,
--
Konstantin Ryabitsev