Getting rid of /usr for F12?

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Fri Apr 17 12:52:26 UTC 2009

Once upon a time, Lennart Poettering <mzerqung at 0pointer.de> said:
> In the past more and more stuff has been moved from /usr to /.

Only things needed for boot have been moved to /.

> And for the folks who think /usr is awesome because it allows mounting
> /usr ro while mounting / rw: it's not.

You're wrong.  On my servers, I make a small / and bigger /usr (mounted
ro).  The small / has a big advantage: less likely to fail.

Real-world example: I recently had a drive failure (actually multiple
drive failure in a RAID), and /usr was corrupted beyond repair.  I was
still able to boot in "emergency" mode, mounting only /, and restore
/usr from tape.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>