opensync downgrade to 0.22

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Apr 17 15:51:47 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-04-17 at 14:45 +0200, Till Maas wrote:

> > If you're talking about 0.3, forget it. For 0.22, there's a commented
>
> I was talking abount 0.3, which is also the branch that is currently available
> in F10 btw.

Yes...given the liberal upgrade policy of Fedora, we should probably
downgrade it there too, I'm just kinda used to not making major changes
to released distros (even to something as fundamentally broken as
opensync) so I didn't suggest that to Andreas, just focused on Rawhide.
I guess he may go ahead and do that once we're happy with the stuff in
Rawhide.

>  It's strange, that even nobody knows how it should be configured,
> because the syncml-ds-tool works here without any problems to get my contacts
> from my phone to my Fedora box, but it is the other way round, that I really
> need. I guess I will try it with 0.22 then some day or do it somehow with
> python :-).

As I keep saying, you basically can't sync any real data to or from a
real device (or even a non-device plugin like Evo or KDEPIM) with
opensync 0.3 in its current state. It's not a question of "it's really
difficult to configure and entirely undocumented" (which is, also,
pretty much true), it's just a case of it actually flat out does not
work. The code is not yet capable of doing it.

*In addition* to this, with the current state of development, the
configuration you have to do to get to the state where things will
in-theory work but in-practice won't is also quite difficult - AIUI from
the mailing list discussion (I haven't bothered to test this personally
because there's just no point, it still wouldn't actually work) there's
a bit of configuration that none of the actual opensync tools handle
yet, so you'd have to go in and poke the partnership configuration files
manually. And it still wouldn't work. (Juha will correct me on that if
I'm wrong, I'm sure - Juha, I'm talking about the capabilities stuff).

But yeah, you are not ever going to be able to sync any real data with
the packages in Fedora 10 currently. It just won't work. Backport the
packages from Rawhide - libsyncml, libwbxml, and all of opensync, or
build 0.22 from source yourself, and you may be in with a fighting
chance. That's basically the status.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey