Getting rid of /usr for F12?

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Fri Apr 17 17:00:27 UTC 2009

On Friday, April 17 2009, Till Maas said:
> On Fr April 17 2009, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > Hans de Goede (j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl) said:
> > > Think for example something weird like /usr on fuse, do we want to
> > > support that? Note that given the infinite amount of possibilities it is
> > > probably the best to only describe what we do support.
> >
> > IMO, no. (Nor root on fuse, which could I'm sure conceivably be hacked in.)
>
> Allowing root on fuse might be useful for live images, that then maybe could
> use funionfs instead of the lvm snapshot.

1) The live images are a pretty special beast and thus wouldn't be
influenced by any decision of fuse vs no fuse for /usr
2) fuse based unionfs suffers from a lot of the same problems as
non-fuse based.  Luckily, Val's work on union mounts seems to be
progressing pretty well although I'm not 100% sure what the time frame
on that is right now

Jeremy