My first DontZap use case while testing F11 beta

Suren Karapetyan surenkarapetyan at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 19:51:52 UTC 2009

On Saturday 18 April 2009 00:36:48 Lars E. Pettersson wrote:
>Why having to reboot the machine when you
> actually only need to restart X? It does not make any sense, at least
> not to me.

Of course it shouldn't make sense to anyone.
1. Kill X
All the applications which are running on *that* X are detached.
Most of them close right away.
Some (the ones which are better designed) save state and exit only after that.
Not that there are many programs in the latter group and in fact I don't know
which programs do that, but at least they have all the chance to do it.
2. Reset
No program has any chance to save anything - no matter how good they are.
And the kernel is no exception.

So it's as simple as this:
Kill X - lose data
Reset - lose at least the same data + have a *big* chance of FS problems (and
yes sometimes even completely hosed system).

<sarcasm>Which one is better? - You know, it's just a matter of
taste.</sarcasm>

Suren