My first DontZap use case while testing F11 beta

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 00:13:47 UTC 2009

On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 5:43 PM, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 4:07 PM, Mark <markg85 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> So, how much is Microsoft paying you guys?  Anyone who has been
>>> posting to this thread who has been receiving kickback money, please
>>> let us know how much you are getting.
>>
>> You're going a little paranoid now i think.
>> Also if you want to get it back the old way (like i do) you don't need
>> to pay X.org 1 cent. Just fork it but think of the consequences if you
>> do. X.org is huge.
>>
>> I really wonder why this change isn't reverted yet.. there are so many
>> opposed to this new dontzap default that some Xorg devs just don't
>> seem or want to listen.
>> O and btw i had my first Xorg dontzap issue as well. luckily a CTRL +
>> ALT + F# followed by a killall appname solved it and x worked fine
>> again.
>
> Increasingly the change sounds like a good idea just for the
> increasing motivation it will create to fix broken issues with X.
>
> X shouldn't be freezing and the causes of X freezes can be fixed. Yet
> people will continue to mistakenly hit ctrl-alt-bs even if the
> software is made perfect.  Yes, I think this is an unimportant change,
> but that doesn't mean that I don't also agree with it.
>
> I'm sorry, people in this thread have talked about "windows
> mentality", but I think the real example of windows mentality is
> having a "crash" button on your keyboard because your system sometimes
> freezes.
>
> Shall we add a wipe-dotfiles button next because sometimes they become
> corrupted and the desktop environment no longer lets you log in?

Windows doesn't have a crash button. I'm not sure why you think having
a button that will aid you in the event of a crash is a bad thing.
However, I think you should have the choice to remove it, while is
there by default for everyone else. Because in the event of a crash,
you can choose not to use it, but I can't install it during the crash
just so that I can then use it.

And I'm not sure what would be wrong with a tool that intelligently
moved dot files if it allowed a non expert user to login and get
assistance.

--
Fedora 9 : sulphur is good for the skin
( www.pembo13.com )