My first DontZap use case while testing F11 beta

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Sun Apr 19 10:54:52 UTC 2009

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 09:41:54PM +0200, Lars E. Pettersson wrote:
> On 04/17/2009 09:25 PM, Matthew Garrett wrote:
>> ctrl+alt+del has no special status within X. It's simply a keybinding
>> that can be grabbed by the desktop and used to display something.
>> ctrl+alt+bs now has an identical status.
>
> OK, but it (ctrl-alt-backspace) is not supposed to be grabbed by the
> desktop to display something (by default), is that correct? At least as
> things are at the moment? Have I gotten this right?

Clients can grab the shortcut. If zapping is enabled though, the server zaps
before the client gets the event and regardless of an client holding the grab.

So there's no reason why the DE couldn't pop up a dialog box in the order
"This shortcut zap the server. Do you want to permanently enable zapping?"
I guess this would be handy for those that prefer zapping instead of hitting
log out (and I am quite guilty of said behaviour myself)

Maybe we could make this more user-friendly by adding a talking paperclip too.

Cheers,
  Peter