development packages and multilib

Björn Persson bjorn at xn--rombobjrn-67a.se
Sun Apr 19 21:09:32 UTC 2009

I'm trying to learn how to build packages for Fedora. My first question is
about multilib development packages.

I know that compiled libraries can be installed in both 32-bit and 64-bit
versions at the same time, but is this required for -devel packages as well?
That is, is it normal to compile both 32-bit and 64-bit programs on the same
host, so that one needs both libwhatever-devel.i386 and
libwhatever-devel.x86_64, or is it permissible for the two versions of
libwhatever-devel to conflict with each other?

Björn Persson