My first DontZap use case while testing F11 beta

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Apr 20 16:20:10 UTC 2009

Lars E. Pettersson wrote:
> The important thing is that this removal can create problems for new
> user of Linux. Why should we learn them to restart the whole machine
> when it is not needed, and even may create extra data loss, and even
> problems with the file system.

It occurs to me... has anyone considered that we are teaching users that
GNU/Linux is just as bad as Windows with this change?

It used to be: no, no, this is *GNU/Linux*! An X crash isn't the total
system failure it is in Windows, just hit c-a-bs and you're instantly
back at your login.

Now we're making X problems into: yeah, you have to reboot, wait for the
system to come back... oh, and wait for it to run scandi^Wfsck (and
better pray the FS didn't get hosed)...

So much for GNU/Linux being better than Windows.

--
Matthew
Here endeth the rant... which I realize is not likely to Win Friends or